I don't know if you have noticed yet from past blog posts or instagram.. but I love food. I love love LOVE food. Especially healthy nutritious food!
Last August I started an online nutrition school (Institute for Integrative Nutrition) and it has made me even more aware of how important it is to know what goes into our bodies. The school also encourages me to take action and inspire others on how to live a healthier lifestyle. So since nutrition and food are another big passion of mine [other than fashion], I've decided I'm going to start posting [mostly] healthy recipes and give tips on how to integrate more delicious healthy foods into our daily diet [and also what foods we should avoid eating]. I'm super excited to share what I've been learning and I hope you're excited too!
Today I'm going to talk a little bit about artificial sweeteners (sugar substitutes). These substances are used instead of table sugar (also known as refined white sugar or sucrose) to sweeten foods and beverages. These artificial sweeteners ( Equal, NutraSweet, and Splenda) can be very misleading to people because most of these sugars are labeled to be "0 Calories" or even "all natural". Because we live in a society that is obsessed with weight and how we should look, people choose the "0 Calorie" sweetener instead of the white sugar packet thinking it's a "healthier choice". I mean, why would you want to add 16 calories to your ice tea when it could have no calories at all? Well what people don't know is that they will probably gain more weight choosing the "0 cal" sugar because of how many chemicals and neurotoxins are used to make the fake sugar taste sweet! Sugar substitutes are sweeter than regular table sugar (crazy, right?) which causes us to crave more sugary foods.... So for an example: the more we crave sugar, the more sweets we eat and the more sweets we eat, the more calories we eat and the more calories we eat, the more weight we gain! White sugar does have calories and it still isn't "healthy" for us but when it comes to choosing between artificial sweeteners, regular white sugar would be the 'healthier' choice.
Here are 5 artificial sugars to avoid:
1. Aspartame, sold under brand names NutraSweet and Equal. This fake sugar contains many neurotoxins (phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol) which are linked to cause cancer. This sugar is found in many diet sodas (like coca-cola!) and gum! Always look on the back of sodas and gum packages to avoid this deadly ingredient!
2. Saccharin, sold under brand name Sweet'N Low
3. Sucralose, sold under brand name Splenda
4. Acesulfame K (or acesulfame potassium), produced by Hoechst, a German chemical company; widely used in foods, beverages and pharmaceutical products around the world.
5. Neotame, produced by NutraSweet Company. Neotame is used in diet soft drinks and low-calories foods.
Tip: If you want to stay away from eating a lot of sugar, always look at the ingredients (or just avoid processed foods all together). You will be amazed at how much added sugar is in our food and beverages!
Foods that are made with natural cane sugar (evaporated cane juice) or sweetened with fruit are always the best choice! If you're wanting something sweet, go grab an apple or a banana. If you want a good bubbly beverage, grab a Hansen soda (sweetened with natural cane sugar, aspartame free!) or an Izzy! Your body will thank you later!